Sunday, November 9, 2014

The Joys of Life

I'm curled up in bed beside quite possibly the snuggliest cat on the planet looking out into the woods behind my brother's house. I'm the only person awake in the house and, though I'm starving and coffee-deprived, it's a joyous moment.

This has been some week. My book is published and sales have rocketed all the way to low double digits. I'm not that worried about sales at the moment. I feel like once the launch party takes place and I get some folks to give me some reviews on Amazon, things will pick up. But it's on sale and a few actual human beings have bought it. I can cross a major item off my bucket list.

Now, if I want to get to a point where I can do this for a living, I figure I need to do two things: gather a following and keep writing. I already talked about the first one, and I hope to find a way to divvy up my free time between promoting the current book and writing the future ones. That's a bit of a challenge, but I need to remind myself of something I told a former student a few days ago who was lamenting about finding balance in life. It was roughly that life isn't about maintaining balance in the balancing-the-scales sense. Instead, it's like maintaining balances in several accounts. Sometimes you have to take some from one account (writing, in my case) in order to maintain the balance in another (promoting) or yet another (teaching, grading, etc.), but eventually, you need to pay the balance back, which, for me, means finding times, like this long weekend, to get away from home and just write.

So that's what I'm doing. Just writing and relaxing. And snuggling with this insanely affectionate cat. Life is good sometimes.

PS--I can't completely ignore shameless self-promotion. Here's the link if you would like to buy my first novel, Harsh Prey. I really believe you'll like it.

HARSH PREY--Paperback or Kindle

No comments:

Post a Comment