Tuesday, November 4, 2014

So Much For Which To Be Thankful

Yes, I know, it's Tuesday and I always post on weekends, but it's election day, which is one of those days I'm thankful I'm a teacher. Last night wasn't a school night, which meant I could stay up and watch the football game. I fell asleep early in the first quarter, but only because I wanted to, not because I had to get up for work the next day. And I got up a whole 20 minutes later than normal, which doesn't sound like sleeping in, but I got up when I wanted to, not when I had to, so it counts. And for all of that, I'm thankful.

Speaking of thankful, I realized after my book went out as a Kindle edition that I hadn't put an acknowledgement page in and I was simply mortified. So, by way of righting that wrong, I want to give some important folks well-deserved thanks.

First, I want to thank my students who encouraged me to pick up the pen (in the electronic sense) again and get this book finished. I imagine it was so they could quit hearing about how I was a frustrated novelist and start at least hearing different complaints, like how no agent has the good sense to represent me. But seriously, so many of you told me that I could do it and that I should. I can honestly say that I would never have finished this book without you guys.

I also want to thank Sandy Tritt, who edited the beginning of this book and taught me the ins and outs of self-editing. With your help, I took a bloated, self-important blob of a book and turned it into a sleek, smooth, quick read that I think people will actually enjoy. Thank you so much!

Next, I want to thank officer Chris Morehead, the Prevention Resource Officer at my school and a veritable fount of knowledge about police procedures. I was amazed at what I didn't know and at how patient you were, Chris, in answering all my sometimes stupidly simple questions. I deeply appreciate you, not only for your help with this book, but also for all that you do to maintain a sense of sanity at PHS.

Next, I want to thank the late, great Robert B. Parker, my writing hero. The day I picked up The Godwulf Manuscript, my literary life changed. I can say without question that Harry and Dee Shalan would never have existed if not for you. I wish I could have told you that in person, but I hope you're somewhere that you can hear it now.

Finally, I want to thank my family and friends for all of your support and encouragement throughout this process. So many kind words that I can't even count them all. You have no idea how much it means to me.

I know I said finally in the last paragraph, but over and above all of the folks I've mentioned is God. Throughout the writing, editing, and publishing of this book, as well as the rough personal times I've been experiencing, I've felt the warm and comforting presence of God more acutely than ever before in my life. No success would have any meaning if I didn't know I was saved by the blood of Christ, so to him I give the glory.

So if I had remembered to put an acknowledgement page in my book, that's what it would have said. The good part about putting it on here is that, when I inevitably remember someone I should have included, I can just come back here and add them. I hope that's sufficient, though I'm not sure there are enough days left in my life to adequately thank all these amazing people. God bless you all.

PS: (Warning--shameless self-promotion ahead) Don't forget to buy my book! Kindle only for now, but paperback soon, hopefully this week. Here's the link in case you missed it the last eleventy billion times I put it out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment