Thursday, April 3, 2014

Is It a Beach Trip If It's Too Cold to Leave Your Condo?

Life's been a little nutty since I got back from my spring break trip, so I'm just now getting to write about it. Based on the weather, it would be more appropriately called winter break 2.0, but it happened at the end of march, so it was technically spring.

The trip down was an adventure in itself, as we hit blizzard conditions in Fancy Gap, VA. I don't exaggerate when I say there were tennis ball sized snowflakes hitting my windshield. When it wasn't snowing, it was a driving rain until we got about an hour north of our destination, Murrells Inlet, SC.

When we got there, the rain stopped for a day or two, but was replaced by frigid temperatures. My brother, mother, and I went for a walk on the beach that was nothing short of miserable. Well, to be fair, it was uncomfortable for me while being miserable for the others. For some reason, cold doesn't bother me as much as it does them. My brother wore three jackets and was still too cold.

Eventually, we got two days of decent weather and took advantage by going to Broadway at the Beach and then playing a round of golf. I am proud to say that I won the last hole. It was the only hole I won, but it was one more than I expected.

The trip back was even worse, weather-wise, than the trip down. It rained torrentially almost every minute of the trip. Snow was replaced by pea-soup fog in Fancy Gap. It was tricky to decide where to drive in relation to other vehicles because if I got too near, the blowback was blinding, but if I got too far, I was literally outside their wake, making the standing water deeper. I ached all over by the time we got home from being tense for nine straight hours.

But despite all that, it was a nice trip. I saw my parents for the first time since December and got to spend a week with my brother, who I don't see that often either, despite the fact that we live in the same town. I also had good reading time as well as some time to write. The apartment was a little small for getting away from everyone so I could concentrate, though, so I only got one, albeit long, chapter written. I was planning on sitting out on the balcony to work, but none of us could stand to be out there more than a few minutes at a time.


I understand it's sunny and in the 80s down there this week. I'm not bitter. Yeah, yeah I am.






Sunrise on our first morning

The sky for most of our stay :(

Frigid but beautiful

View from our balcony

The other direction

I think I know why they're going out of business.
And another excruciatingly bad sign
And a other

An upside down building at Broadway at the Beach

The boardwalk where a seagull pooped on me

One of the warmest days we had. Notice the coats.

My brother at B at the B



The highlight for me was probably getting to see these wonderful old friends. We were in church together. Layne and Babs helped with the youth group and Adam was one of my youths before being my student in AP English

A beautiful tree outside the restaurant where we ate together

No comments:

Post a Comment