Sunday, March 3, 2013

Nonet

Just subscribed to Writer's Digest so I got a free link to the online version of the November/December issue.  One article talked about a poetic form, the nonet.  I'd never heard of it, which makes sense, I guess, since the article said it was a relatively new form with no known origin.  But it consists of nine lines with a descending number of syllable in each line.  The first has nine, the second eight, and so on until the last line, which has one syllable.  I thought I would give it a try, but didn't know what to write about until I looked outside at the bleak wintry landscape.  It prompted this:


March is coming in like a lion.
Wish it were more like a warm lamb.
The soft white snow flutters still
and coats the hardened ground.
Seems it will not end.
But hope abides
deep down in
my heart.
Spring

Hope you find your spring.  

No comments:

Post a Comment